An earth-kind, soft, empathic doll that will last a childhood of play. And a tree responsibly planted in the doll's name. We are delighted with Rubens Barn Mini EcoBuds!
Rubens Barn began in Sweden in 1998 with two mothers who wanted to create a soft cuddly doll, with a child-like body shape and a warm, cheeky face. A comforting friend for an entire childhood. “Children should...get the opportunity to practice creativity, care and empathy through role play.” Teruko, Co-Founder of Rubens Barn
Each Rubens Barn doll is handmade - involving over 100 steps! They use 100% organic cotton for the body, hair, and clothes. The eyes are embroidered and bring the doll to life.
The dolls' filling has to date been virgin polyester plastic, but the Rubens Barn team are committed to using the most earth-kind materials, so have started an exciting project: to switch all dolls to 100% recycled polyester filling! So far only Mini EcoBuds have made the switch (and so we can stock them), but we will gradually add all their lines as they switch.
Each Mini EcoBud comes with a tree planted with non-profit One Tree Planted.
What it contains: 1 doll in a box. 23cm high, 50g weight. Features 2 short (kid-safe) strings you can tie to your buggy, bag, soother, etc
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from EU? No :-( - China - see below
- Organic? Yes the cotton is 100% certified organic
- Manufactured in EU? No :-( - China - see below
- What's it made from? Hair, skin, clothes: 100% organic cotton (certified OCS 100 - Organic Content Standard); stuffing: 100%-recycled polyester petro-plastic (certified Global Recycled Standard)
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard box
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? 100% free of virgin plastic - which is really good - only recycled plastic is used, because other materials don't allow your little friend to hold their shape and personality over time
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? Yes - polyester filling is 100% certified recycled; cardboard box is recycled; organic cloth outer layer is new
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? Box - yes; outer cloth - yes; polyester filling - no
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: 0+
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Awards: Swedish Toy of the Year 'Eco-Friendly' award winner 2019
- Safety standards met: European Toy Safety Standards (CE-marked)
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: We love everything about it, except its toy-miles (China is 22,000km away) - see below
Care/use instructions: Machine-washable up to 30°C
- Materials are 80% of a regular toy's carbon footprint; toy-miles the other 20%. That's why we focus on toys with sustainable (natural or recycled) materials and low toy-miles (made locally in Europe). But soft toys are difficult...we can't find anyone making affordable-and-eco soft toys in Europe. So we've made an exception to our 'locally-made' rule for this toy, because:
- We want to support eco-pioneers like Rubens Barn. They are pioneering sustainable materials in soft toys (where the majority of others are highly unsustainable). And hopefully in the future they'll find a clever way to reduce toy-miles also. Their hearts are in the right eco place!
- Better to buy this 80%-eco toy than the 100%-unsustainable soft toys that sadly dominate most toy shops.
- A tree is responsibly planted (you even get the certificate) for each Rubens Barn Mini EcoBud made. Which more than absorbs its high-toy-miles carbon emissions. Carbon-offsetting isn't perfect - our planet needs us to *both* plant trees *and* reduce emissions - but it's good :-)
- Rubens Barn toys production in China is personal, by a family they've been working with closely for years.
- ...Love to hear your feedback and suggestions! Thank you!