Tony Chocoloney's was founded in 2005, by Teun va de Keuk, a Dutch journalist who exposed child slave labour in the cocoa industry. Teun (Dutch for Tony) saw how rife slave labour of both children and adults is in West Africa where 60% of the world's cocoa beans are grown. He decided to take action and set up his own Fairtrade chocolate business.
These delicious vegan chocolate bars are guaranteed to be grown and manufactured in a process that excludes slave labour.
What it contains: A Fairtrade certified chocolate bar 180g. May contain milk, egg, other tree nuts, wheat and peanut.
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? No - West Africa
- Organic? No
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - Netherlands
- What's it made from? Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin. Cocoa solids 70% min.
- What's it packaged in? 100% recycled, uncoated offset paper with excellent whiteness (CIE 150). It's also FSC® Recycled and EU Ecolabel certified.
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard
- Plastic-free? Yes
- Vegan? Yes
- Free from testing on animals? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? N/A
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Yes, the packaging is recycable
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: great for all ages
- Shelf life: 240 days
- Awards: For the fourth time in a row, Tony Chocolonely has been elected by Dutch consumers as the most sustainable brand in the Netherlands in the Sustainable Brand Index ranking 2021.
- Safety standards met: N/A
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? May contain wheat.
- Peanut-free? May contain peanut.
- Soy-free? No
- Lactose-free? May contain milk.
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? Yes (in so much as any chocolate...don't get it on your dry-clean-only white dress!)
- Improvements we're working on in this product: We think it is delicious! But let us know what you think!