Ming-Li looked up and tried to imagine the sky silent, empty of birds. It was a terrible thought. Her country's leader had called sparrows the enemy of the farmers — they were eating too much grain, he said. He announced a great "Sparrow War" to banish them from China, but Ming-Li did not want to chase the birds away.
As the people of her village gathered with firecrackers and gongs to scatter the sparrows, Ming-Li held her ears and watched in dismay. The birds were falling from the trees, frightened to death! Ming-Li knew she had to do something — even if she couldn't stop the noise. Quietly, she vowed to save as many sparrows as she could, one by one.
This thoughtful tale uses historical events for a fable about kindness and empathy.
What it contains: 1 hardback book, 40 pages
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from EU? Unlikely - TBC - probably China
- Organic? Unlikely
- Manufactured in EU? Unlikely - TBC - probably China
- What's it made from? Paper, cardboard
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? Unknown
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes 100%
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: 5-8
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Safety standards met: N/A - a book not a toy
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: Printing in Europe saves between 60% and 90% of a book's transport carbon - 60% if you print in Eastern Europe, 90% if you print in Ireland or UK. So, we wish this book were printed in Europe!