Give a gift card that includes native Irish seeds that help our bees and other pollinators - enough to plant up to 1.5 square metres (or several pots) of beautiful wildflowers!
Quick and easy to establish with a long flowering period from 8 weeks after sowing up until the first frosts of winter. Suitable for all soil types.
We need wild bees to pollinate our food. But a third of Ireland's 99 wild bee species are at risk of extinction...luckily, we can all help.
Green fields and manicured lawns are like a barren desert for bees...they need flowers, including hedge and tree flowers.
We can help by:
- Mowing grass less often - the whole lawn, or a pollinator strip down the side - until Sept (then mow and remove the cuttings);
- Allowing hedgerows to flower;
- Less / no pesticides;
- Plant pollinator-friendly plants / trees (see www.pollinators.ie for a list; this Bee planting kit and our plantable cards include many of them).
The All Ireland Pollinator Plan doesn't encourage seed bombs, interestingly. Just don't mow and let nature do her thing.
How to use this kit:
- Place the disc of coconut soil in a saucer and sprinkle with 6 to 8 times its volume in water, to rehydrate it.
- Break it up and fill the pot with it.
- Spread the seeds over the entire surface of the soil.
- Keep inside the house in a well-lit place.
- In Spring, plant in the ground in your garden or in a larger (18cm or more) pot on your balcony or terrace.
What it contains: A blend of 100% native Irish cornfield annual wildflower seeds, enough to plant 1.5 square meters of soil
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - Ireland
- Organic? TBC
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - Ireland
- What's it made from? Paper, compostable bag, seeds
- What's it packaged in? Compostable bag only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? TBC
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes 100%
- Reusable / refillable? No
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: All
- Shelf life: TBC
- Safety standards met: N/A - it's a growing kit, not a toy per se
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? TBC
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None - but you tell us, how could it be even better?