Grow your own carnivore!
This carnivorous "flytrap" plant attracts insects with nectar on the rim of its leaf as well with the leaves' colour and scent. But it's slippery on the rim, so they fall inside, where they are digested by the plant's enzymes.
Sarracenia evolved like this so as to survive in acidic, sandy, mineral-poor soils - bogs, seasonally wet grasslands, fire-maintained savannas. Unlike most plants, it doesn't need to be nourished by its soil; it just needs water, heat and insects.
Sarracenia flowers in Spring and hibernates in winter (when insects are fewer).
Help the seeds grow by cutting the end off a used plastic drinks bottle to use as a bell greenhouse, for heat and humidity.
Sarracenia's lifespan is approximately 20 years under natural conditions.
- Terracotta pot 8 cm in diameter
- Terracotta dish 8 cm in diameter
- 6 cm coconut husk soil disc to rehydrate
- 10 sarracenia carnivorous plant seeds to sow
- Instructions in English
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - France
- Organic? No, the seeds are not organic
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - France
- What's it made from? Cardboard, paper, recycled coconut husk soil, seeds
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard box only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? TBC
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes 100%
- Reusable / refillable? Yes
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
- Great for ages: 4+
- Shelf life: TBC
- Safety standards met: N/A - it's a growing kit, not a toy per se
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes but packed in a facility that also packs peanut seeds, so we don't feel good about recommending if you are peanut-allergic.
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes / skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None - but you tell us, how could it be even better?