The first flexible construction toy we've found...and it's made in Europe?from plants, not petroleum!!!
Each set comes with a booklet of step-by-step guides for a few builds, then lots of inspiration to start your creativity (and then, please carry on with your own ideas!) If you can imagine it, you can build it, with Binabo.
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - Germany
- Organic? Not sure, checking!
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - Germany
- What's it made from? Flexible bioplastic - an innovative, carbon-neutral material made from the leftovers after sugarcane is harvested. It's carbon-neutral because plants absorb carbon as they grow - whereas petroleum-based plastic has a carbon footprint of up to 6 times its own weight in CO2. Bioplastic is fully recyclable at end of life along with petro-plastics. Think of it as FairTrade coffee - looks the same, tastes the same, but has a very different impact on the world because of how it's produced.
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard box (Sustainability-certified*)
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? 100% free from petroleum-derived plastic - made from bioplastic, see above for the difference
- Vegan? We believe so, checking
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? No
- Biodegradable compostable? Packaging - yes! Toy itself - no (and that's good)! The benefit of bio-plastic is that it's carbon-neutral (unlike petro-plastic, making which emits 6 times its own weight in CO2 (a lot!)). Bio-plastic toys are durable and will last many childhoods of play - we wouldn't want them to biodegrade. But if/when they're no longer usable, they're fully recyclable along with petro-plastic toys.
- Reusable / refillable? Very reusable
- Recyclable? Yes in your home recycling bin (cardboard packaging), yes at a civic amenity center (the toy itself)
- Great for ages: 4+ but I find older children tend to love this toy more at ages 7 and up through teens up to adults
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Awards: Spiel Gut play value award winner
- Safety standards met: European toy safety standards (CE marked)
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? N/A
- Peanut-free? N/A
- Soy-free? N/A
- Lactose-free? N/A
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None, we think it's perfect! But let us know what you think!
Search terms: bilibo
* We're not allowed mention which certificate because of bizarre bureaucracy, for details search our site for 'Not allowed to say FSC'.