Help care for our bees and other pollinators - and add a splash of colourful florals to your home or garden - with this adorable grow it yourself set!
We need wild bees to pollinate our food. But a third of Ireland's 99 wild bee species are at risk of extinction...luckily, we can all help.
Green fields and manicured lawns are like a barren desert for bees...they need flowers, including hedge and tree flowers.
We can help by:
- Mowing grass less often - the whole lawn, or a pollinator strip down the side - until Sept (then mow and remove the cuttings);
- Allowing hedgerows to flower;
- Less / no pesticides;
- Plant pollinator-friendly plants / trees (see www.pollinators.ie for a list; this Bee planting kit and our plantable cards include many of them).
The All Ireland Pollinator Plan doesn't encourage seed bombs, interestingly. Just don't mow and let nature do her thing.
- A bag of mixed pollinator-friendly wildflower seeds: dill, mallow, borage, lavender, clover, trefoil, melilot, vetch, white mustard, wheat nielle, coreopsis, marigold, blueberry, chrysanthemum, forget-me-not, lark's foot, viper, eschscholtzia, ibéris , flax, poppy, canary seed, drummond phlox, reseda odorata, nasturtium, verbena, zinnia, buckwheat, phacelia
- A 5cm diameter terracotta pot
- A disc of coconut soil to rehydrate
- Instructions in English
- Overall kit dimensions: 18cm x 12cm x 6 cm
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - France
- Organic? No, the seeds are not organic
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - France
- What's it made from? Cardboard, paper, recycled coconut husk soil, seeds
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard box only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? TBC
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes 100%
- Reusable / refillable? Yes
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
- Great for ages: 4+
- Shelf life: TBC
- Safety standards met: N/A - it's a growing kit, not a toy per se
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes but packed in a facility that also packs peanut seeds, so we don't feel good about recommending if you are peanut-allergic.
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes / skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None - but you tell us, how could it be even better?
- Place the disc of coconut soil in a saucer and sprinkle with 6 to 8 times its volume in water, to rehydrate it.
- Break it up and fill the pot with it.
- Spread the seeds over the entire surface of the soil.
- Keep inside the house in a well-lit place.
- In Spring, plant in the ground in your garden or in a larger (18cm or more) pot on your balcony or terrace.