A really old-world toy: the spinning top is one of the toys found on the oldest archaeological sites. They were developed, independently, by cultures all over the world.
Ours is handmade the traditional way, from local FSC wood, in Barcelona.
- Make the top come alive by briskly pulling the string coiled around it body. Wind the rope, starting near the tip and progressing up along the widening body, so that the tension in the string is about constant as the top's spinning speed increases.
- Make it spin faster...throw the top forward as you pulling the string back.
- Challenge yourself...throw the top upside-down, with the first loop of the rope wound around the top of it - a sudden yank on as the string finishes unwinding flips the top over to land on its tip.
What it contains: Handcrafted FSC-certified beechwood wooden spinning top (11cm high, 4.8cm diameter) and cotton string for making it spin, in a recycled giftbox
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? TBC - TBC
- Organic? No
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - Spain
- What's it made from? Beech wood, cotton
- What's it packaged in? Recycled cardboard
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Free from testing on animals? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? No
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? Biodegradable
- Reusable / refillable? No
- Recyclable? Yes, cotton can be recycled with other textiles, and the wooden toys can be brought to a civic amenity centre for recycling. See the MyWaste.ie A to Z for how to recycle anything in Ireland.
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: 5+
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Awards: TBC
- Safety standards met: European toy safety standards (CE-marked)
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: