These origami boats are made with stone paper. So they're 100% waterproof...when you're done making them, you can play with them in the bath!
"Stone paper is eco-friendly because it uses-up powder waste from limestone quarries. It does not use trees, water, chlorine, or acids." Yes this is true!
But it's only 80% stone powder; the powder is bound-together with HDPE = plastic.
There are stone papers out there that use bio-HDPE (carbon-neutral, made from plants not petroleum unlike regular (petro-) HDPE). I think we could feel good about them. But looks like, the ones we have, use petro-HDPE.
We got greenwashed, in other words. Sigh!
It was our first order from a new producer (whose other kits are all regular paper = good!) so we only have a few of these. So we'll just sell them and not re-order.
What it contains: Everything you need to make 5 waterproof floating boats. Including visual instructions in English and French. In a box measuring 220x305x2mm.
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - France
- Organic? Unclear
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - France
- What's it made from? Stone paper (80% limestone, 20% petroleum-derived HDPE plastic = bad), vegetable inks
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard box only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? TBC
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? No - 20% plastic
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Unclear! We are checking
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: 6+
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Safety standards met: European toy safety standards (CE-marked)
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: If the 20% HDPE were bioplastic (carbon-neutral, made from plants not petroleum) we would feel better about it!