The tools we use for tackling plastic pollution at the beachfront shouldn’t be adding to the problem we’re fighting!
Cornwall social enterprise Waterhaul have created this litter picker and hoop using their 100% recycled plastic from trawl fishing nets and lines - 40% recovered from the UK coastline, 60% surrendered by fishermen when too old to use. Both help reduce ghost nets in the ocean - the shortage of disposal options for end of life nets is what often causes them to end up discarded there.
The picker's lightweight, sturdy, fold-up handy, repairable and 100% recyclable. It features a magnetic tip for easy collection of bottle caps and small metal objects.
The hoop securely grips and holds a standard refuse sack or hessian sack and has an ergonomic carry handle. No more flapping, ripping bin bags in the wind!
Waterhaul diverts and removes plastic from the ocean via end-of-life fishing net amnesties, beach cleans, and ghost gear recovery dives.
Why this is cool:
- Every year at least 640,000 tonnes of fishing nets are lost or discarded in the ocean.
- They make up about 46% of all ocean plastic by weight.
- They entangle marine life and damage kelp beds and coral reefs.
- They are made from plastic so effectively never biodegrade.
- Taking them and making litter pickers is a powerful symbolic act, as well as diverting / removing some of these nets from the ocean.
What it contains:
- Litter picker with recycled-ocean-plastic handle, trigger, and jaw; aluminium shaft; nylon string; and rubber gripper with magnetic tip.
- Fold-up style: 66cm long (when folded-out)
- Not fold-up style: 80cm long
- Litter bag hoop from 100% recycled polypropylene fishing gear - securely grips and holds a refuse sack with a fixed 30cm diameter opening and ergonomic carry handle.
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - UK
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - UK
- What's it made from?
- Handle, trigger and jaw – 100% recycled fishing nets (polypropylene)
- Shaft – Aluminium
- String – Nylon
- Gripper – Rubber
- What's it packaged in? Nothing
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? 100% free of virgin plastic; contains recycled ocean plastic
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? Yes the plastic is recycled
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? No
- Reusable / refillable? Yes
- Recyclable? Yes
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: Tall enough for an 66cm-long picker - it's designed for adults but kids age 6+ can use it
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Safety standards met: None apply - a litter picker, not a toy
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None, very happy, but let us know your suggestions!
Search terms: litterpicker, litter pick, litterpick