100% Recycled, 100% Huggable! Keel Toys is a big plush toy maker; we're delighted to support its admirable move towards recycled materials.
The KeelEco range is made from 100% recycled materials:
- Recycled polyester (rPET) for the outer and the stuffing - made by melting used plastic drinks bottles spinning into new polyester. A 30cm toy uses up to 16 x 500ml old drinks bottles!
- Recycled glass beads for weights
- Even the label is made from recycled materials!
Traditional glass eyes have been replaced with cotton embroidered eyes, which give them a unique and playful character.
The iconic red Keel hanging tag is now FSC cardboard attached with cotton string.
What it contains: 25cm tall/long stuffed toy
Feel great about where it comes from:
- Raw materials from Europe? No - China
- Organic? No - 100% recycled plastic
- Manufactured in Europe? No - China, in an ICTI-monitored ethically-run factory
- What's it made from? 100% recycled materials - recycled polyester (reusing material from at least 10 recycled drinks bottles), recycled glass beads inside as weights, even the tag is recycled. Only the cotton that embroiders-on the eyes is new.
- What's it packaged in? Nothing
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: FSC-certified cardboard only
- Plastic-free? No - recycled plastic
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? Yes - 100% recycled rPET recycled polyester fabric and filling, recycled glass bead weights, even tags are recycled material
Feel great about where it goes after you've used it:
- Biodegradable / compostable? No (plastic)
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Yes - together with other textiles. See MyWaste.ie A to Z for how to recycle anything in Ireland.
Feel great about you and your child using it:
- Great for ages: All!
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Awards: TBC
- Safety standards met: European toy safety standards (CE-marked)
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: We wish these were made in Europe? We searched for 2 years for sustainable-materials soft toys made in Europe?and found just 1 UK producer of unaffordable teddies. There are lots of European soft toy companies but because, like clothing, soft toys are labour-intensive to make, they've all moved production to lower-cost countries.