Does a galloping horse lift all 4 legs off the ground at the same time?
In the 1870s no-one could definitively answer this question, as it was too fast for the human eye to see, and video hadn't been invented yet :-)
In fact, photography had only been invented in very primitive form about 1800. More about photographic history here.
Eadweard Muybridge (1830 - 1904) was an English photographer renowned for his groundbreaking work in the field of motion photography, and his early work in the projection of moving pictures.
Muybridge created motion studies of animals and people in motion – for example in walking, posing, and running positions – and these were added to discs and viewed in his zoopraxiscope, a device for projecting moving images that pre-dated the flexible perforated film strip used in cinematography.
Challenged by the Governor of California to take photographs of a horse in motion, in 1878 Muybridge produced his most famous images of a horse moving at speed. They answered the above question for the first time - yes, a horse lifts all its legs off the ground simultaneously when galloping.
This flipbook shows 6 of his most remarkable studies shot between 1877 and 1878, including the famous “Jumping Horse” or the “Lady jumping the Stool”, among others. You can switch between the different sequences by placing your thumb at the upper, middle, or lower edge of each side of the flipbook.
- Raw materials from Europe? Yes - Spain
- Organic? TBC
- Manufactured in Europe? Yes - Spain
- What's it made from? Sustainability-certified*, chlorine-free 170gsm (lovely quality) paper
- What's it packaged in? Cardboard sleeve only
- Shipping packaging from manufacturer to us: Cardboard only
- Plastic-free? Yes 100%
- Vegan? Yes
- Animal-cruelty-free? Yes
- Reused upcycled or recycled? TBC
- Biodegradable / compostable? Yes
- Reusable / refillable? N/A
- Recyclable? Yes 100%
- Great for ages: Maybe 10+ - needs quite a lot of focus which I know does happen in younger kids but not many of them in my experience!
- Shelf life: Indefinite
- Awards: N/A
- Safety standards met: N/A - it's a book
- Solvent-free? Yes
- Gluten-free? Yes
- Peanut-free? Yes
- Soy-free? Yes
- Lactose-free? Yes
- Easy to wash-off clothes / skin? N/A
- Improvements we're working on in this product: None - but you tell us, how could it be even better?
* We're not allowed mention which certificate because of bizarre bureaucracy, for details search our site for 'Not allowed to say FSC'.